Listen to article
The new military junta ruling Chad on Sunday announced that it has lifted a curfew which it introduced after the death of longtime leader Idriss Deby Itno and the installation of a military council led by his son.
A decree signed by the military council’s spokesman Azem Bermandoa Agouna said the curfew had been lifted ‘after evaluating the steps initially taken by the transitional military council (CMT) across the country and the security situation’.
An overnight curfew, which was in place before now barring people from leaving their homes between 6:00 pm and 5:00 am, was introduced on April 20, hours after the military announced that Deby had died from wounds sustained in fighting with rebel forces.
Although the start of the curfew was later pushed back to 8:00 pm.
Chad has remained on the edge since Deby’s death, with the military saying that six people were killed last week during demonstrations in N’Djamena and the south against what the opposition has branded an ‘institutional coup d’etat’.
According to figures from a local non-governmental organisation the death toll so far was nine. More than 650 people were arrested during the protests, which had been banned by the authorities.
The military has said that Deby died during fighting with rebels from the Libya-based Front for Change and Concord in Chad (FACT), who had launched an election day offensive on April 11.
The announcement of Deby’s death came only a day after he was proclaimed winner of the presidential election, handing him a sixth term in office after three decades of iron-fisted rule.
Deby’s allies moved quickly to consolidate power after his death, ignoring the constitution and creating a military council led by his son, 37-year-old army general Mahamat Idriss Deby.
The transitional council is meant to be in place for 18 months and lead to democratic elections — a claim opposition parties have dismissed, calling the arrangement a coup.
AFRICA TODAY NEWS, NEW YORK