Listen to article
No fewer than nine civilians have been brutally murdered in the latest attack in eastern DR Congo which has now been blamed on the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) militia.
A district administrator in Beni identified as Donat Kibwana while speaking to newsmen explained that the assault targeted farmers on the border between North Kivu and Ituri provinces.
He also disclosed that nine bodies were taken to the morgue in the town of Oicha.
A civil society activist Lewis Saliboko while speaking disclosed that the victims had been knifed to death, adding that some of them had had their heads cut off and that more bodies could yet be found.
Nurse Mathe Mupanda Salomon said that, in addition, ‘young people recovered 13 bodies from the bush,’ which would put the death toll at 22 — although none of the other sources could confirm this figure.
Africa Today News, New York understands that ADF is the deadliest of scores of armed militias that roam the mineral-rich eastern DRC.
It is historically a Ugandan Islamist group that has holed up in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo since 1995.
In March, the United States said the ADF was linked to the Islamic State jihadist group.
The ADF was also blamed for the May 31 killings of 57 civilians in displacement camps, which forced thousands more to flee.
AFRICA TODAY NEWS, NEW YORK