Listen to article
The Olubadan of Ibadan, Oba Saliu Adetunji, has denied insinuations that he collected ₦50 million from the Federal Government to attempt to facilitate the arrest of Sunday Igboho.
The traditional ruler gave this denial even as scores of Yoruba Nation agitators, yesterday staged a protest in Ibadan, Oyo State, demanding the release of agitators arrested by the Department of State Service (DSS), and other security agencies, just as they warned the Federal Government to stop further attacks on Yoruba freedom fighter, Chief Sunday Adeyemo, also known as Sunday Igboho.
Africa Today News, New York recalls that security agencies had last week carried out a raid on the Soka home of Chief Adeyemo, and arrested some people in the house.
Mr. Adeola Oloko, who spoke on behalf of the Olubadan of Ibadan, Oba Saliu Adetunji, denied reports that the Olubadan collected a sum of ₦50 million from the Federal Government to make the arrest of Sunday Igboho possible.
He said: ‘The protesters were here and before they came we have been hearing through news on social media that Kabiesi received the sum of N50m from the Federal Government for the killing of Igboho, or for his arrest to become possible.
‘I want to seize this opportunity to inform the public that Kabiesi did not collect a dime from anybody. Sunday Igboho is a Yoruba man, he lives in Ibadan, so he is a son of Kabiesi Olubadan, and we are duty-bound to protect him.
‘So if he is operating within the limit of the law, we are supposed to protect him, so Kabiesi is using this opportunity to say that we did not collect any money from anybody irrespective of anybody at all.
‘At 92 going to 93, what does he need much money for? Is it to rear up children, to send children to school, to build houses, to buy vehicles? So tell me what he has not been able to do in life.
‘So, the story is not true, and I’m also using this medium to warn those on the social media to be very mindful of what they disseminate, because those stories have a great effect on innocent people.
‘Now that the people have come, they have seen for themselves that what was reported was not true, and they came with a lot of requests.
‘Kabiesi has said to them that he will present their requests to the appropriate authorities beginning from this moment, and he has said we should summon a meeting of the stakeholders.
‘So, that the request could be looked into and addressed so that the necessary action is taken. We do not want a state of anarchy in Ibadanland, we want all our youths to operate within the ambit of the law that is the message of the Kabiesi to them.’
AFRICA TODAY NEWS, NEW YORK