Listen to article
The leader of Sunday’s coup which pushed out Guinea’s President Alpha Condé has revealed that a new ‘union’ government would be formed in weeks.
Col Mamady Doumbouya on Monday assured ministers who served in Mr. Condé’s government that there would be no witch-hunt against former officials.
Africa Today News, New York understands that President Condé remains in detention, but his fate is unclear.
Africa Today News, New York had earlier reported that the UN, African Union, and regional body Ecowas have condemned the coup and called for a return to civilian rule.
‘I strongly condemn any takeover of the government by force of the gun and call for the immediate release of President Alpha Condé,’ UN Secretary-General António Guterres tweeted.
Col Doumbouya, who heads the army’s special forces unit, did not say on Monday when the new government would be in place.
‘A consultation will be launched to set down the broad parameters of the transition, and then a government of national union will be established to steer the transition,’ he said in his statement.
He told former ministers that they could not leave the country and had to hand over their official vehicles to the military. He also announced the reopening of land and air borders.
AFRICA TODAY NEWS, NEW YORK